Registering for Self Assessment

One of a series of videos about online Self
Assessment tax returns. If you need to complete a tax return, you’ll
need to register with HMRC. If you’re self-employed you need to register
for Self Assessment and Class 2 National Insurance if any of these apply. You need to do this as soon as possible once
you know you need to fill in a tax return, even if you’ve completed tax returns before,
but no later than 5 October after the end of the tax year. If you need to complete a tax return for another
reason, you must register by 5 October following the end of the tax year. If you don’t register on time, you could
be fined. How you register depends on why you need to
complete a tax return. If you’ve sent tax returns before, but didn’t
have to send one last year, you still need to register. You’ll need your 10-digit Unique Taxpayer
Reference or UTR from before and once you’re registered, you’ll also be able to use an
online account you previously set up to file your tax return. To register if you’re not self-employed
select register now. You use form SA1. There are two versions available. The first and quickest is designed to be filled
in and sent online, and the second which is designed to be completed online, printed and
posted to HMRC. If you’ve not sent a return before, you’ll
receive a letter within 14 days with your Unique Taxpayer reference (UTR) You’ll then need to create a new account.
Follow the guidance and enrol for Self Assessment online services using your UTR. During the process you’ll create a password
and a User ID is given on-screen. Keep these safe as you’ll need them whenever you sign
in online. Lastly you’ll need to activate the service
using the code sent in the post within a further 2 weeks. You won’t need to do this again. When you’re self-employed the process is
slightly different. If you’ve sent a return before you register online using form CWF1. You need your UTR from before, complete your
personal details and details of the business. Once you’ve checked the details on the next
page you can submit online. If you haven’t sent a return before, you
still register online but you’ll create your government gateway account and be enrolled
for the online service at the same time. You’ll receive a letter with your UTR and
your activation code within 2 weeks so you can activate your online service when you
first log in. To register as a partner in a partnership
you use form SA401. There are two versions one to submit online and the other to fill
in, print and post. You’ll need the UTR for the Partnership as well as your own UTR
if you already have one. If it’s a new partnership the ‘nominated
partner’ will also have to register the partnership. Just follow the online guidance. You’ll find more help and support on GOV.UK. Webinars and other videos about Self Assessment
are available from HMRC. Thanks for watching.

Danny Hutson

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *